REVIEW - Lying and Kissing by Helena Newbury



Originally published as the serial "Undercover" (Seduced, Conflicted andBetrayed), now available as one full-length, standalone romance with HEA.

I am out of my depth. Yesterday, I was just a CIA languages geek, safe behind a desk. I thought I wanted a taste of the action.

Then I met him.

Luka. Arms dealer. Russian mafia. A man who'll kill to get what he wants. And he wants me.

Now I'm on a plane to Moscow with orders to "accidentally" run into him again. Seduce him. Sleep with him.

I can’t control myself when I’m near him. And if he finds out who I really am, I'm dead. 

18+ due to steamy scenes. Trigger advisory inside book.

Lying and Kissing (Undercover #1) by Helena Newbury

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Russian Mafia stories......this one, meh.

Luka is the stereotypical big sexy Russian mafia boss with the cold exterior. Arianna is the nerdy, language geek with a desk job working for the CIA. How they came together was clever and entertaining. Once they began the relationship, I was still intrigued. But I began to get bored with the repetitive dialogue and Arianna's lack of confidence. She was really beginning to wreck my nerves and I didn't think I could take it anymore. For instance, the fight scene Arianna had in the restroom with the jealous Russian woman. I was yelling...."How. In. The. HELL. you just got your ass kicked by some random chick". You had AT LEAST basic training for the CIA for goodness sake. Yeah, I know she had a desk job, but her training should have kicked in much earlier to prevent the ass kicking she got. I'm just saying. Note to author: We do not like when our heroine gets beat up by some random chick.

However, I did stick it out because I wanted to know what would happen once "the jig is up" and Luka finds out she's CIA. Will he kill her? Will he take her back? Plus Luka is a big, sexy, dirty-talking Russian who likes to get down and dirty.....who could resist.


I am debating if I will go on with the series but if the sex scenes are any indication of what it's like in the authors' other books.....I might give it a go.



Comments